Billing and insurance

Monash Health is part of Australia’s public health system and offers hospital care to any Australian resident under Medicare arrangements.

Are you a patient without a Medicare Card?

Patients without a Medicare card (or ineligible Medicare patients) need to pay for hospital services. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate and appropriate health insurance cover or adequate money to cover the cost of your healthcare.

Australian Government has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with:

  • United Kingdom
  • New Zealand
  • Ireland (Republic of)
  • Sweden
  • The Netherlands
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Belgium
  • Norway
  • Slovenia
  • Italy

If you are visiting Australia from one of these countries, these agreements may entitle you to limited subsidised health services for medically necessary treatments while visiting Australia. Please note that visitors from Italy and Malta have six months Medicare coverage from the date of arrival in Australia.

Free medical care is also available to asylum seekers, refugees and people suffering from tuberculosis with appropriate supporting documentation.

Find out more from our Patient Liaison Team.

Private patients

You have the right to choose to receive care as a public or private patient at our hospitals. Choosing to use your private health insurance within Monash Health helps generate much needed funds to:

  • Provide continuous improvement in patient care
  • Help support valuable research
  • Contribute to additional and improved hospital facilities

This is entirely up to you and you will receive the same treatment whether you are a public or private patient. Contact our Patient Liaison Officers for further information.

Clayton and Dandenong Patient Liaison Officers

Monday to Friday, 7.30am-10pm
Saturday, 8am-9pm
Sunday, 4-9pm

Clayton – (03) 9594 2809
Dandenong – (03) 9554 8130

Casey, Moorabbin and Kingston Patient Liaison Officers

Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm

Casey – (03) 8768 1589
Moorabbin – (03) 9928 8226
Kingston – (03) 9265 7938

TAC, WorkCover and veterans

TAC, WorkCover and Veterans’ Affairs patients do not need to pay for hospital services. These costs are covered by third party providers.

Patients wishing to claim TAC or Workcover are required to submit a claim form with TAC or your employer.

Medications, equipment and other services

You do not need to pay for medicines given to you to take while in hospital. All patients will be charged for medications provided on discharge and any equipment issued as part of the discharge arrangements.

Some of our community services also charge a small fee for their services.

Make a payment to Monash Health

Monash Health offers several convenient payment methods.

If you have received an invoice from Monash Health, you can pay via any of the following payment methods:


Contact your bank, credit union or building society to make payments from your cheque, savings, debit, credit card or transaction account.

You will need the Biller Code and Reference Number located at the bottom of your invoice to pay your bill.


Go to the secure Westpac payments page to make payments with your credit card.

Enter your PayWay Biller Code and Reference Number which is at the bottom of your invoice and follow the prompts to pay your bill.

By phone

Call 1300 885 175 to make payments with your credit card.

Enter your PayWay Biller Code and Reference Number which is at the bottom of your invoice and follow the voice prompts to pay your bill.

By Mail

You can also pay by cheque. Please make your cheque payable to Monash Health.

Detach and include the payment slip from the bottom of the invoice and mail it with your cheque to:

Monash Health Financial Services
Locked Bag 29
Clayton South VIC 3169

In Person

You can pay at the hospital cashier during opening hours. Present your invoice and pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card.

Hospital Cashier Locations

Casey Hospital
62-70 Kangan Drive, Berwick
Tues, Wed, Fri
8.30 am – 4.00 pm

Dandenong Hospital
135 David St, Dandenong
Monday to Friday
8.30 am – 4.30 pm

Monash Medical Centre
246 Clayton Road, Clayton
Monday to Friday
8.30 am – 4.30 pm

Kingston Centre
400 Warrigal Rd, Cheltenham
Mon, Tues, Thurs
8.30 am – 4.00 pm

Monash Health accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit card payments.

Account enquiries

Need help or assistance?

If you have any questions in regards to an account you have received please contact our billing department on (03) 9265 7958 from Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm.

If you have an enquiry about a specific area or would like to contact us via email, please ensure you specify your patient number and invoice number to assist us with your enquiry.

General billing enquiries
Phone: (03) 9265 7958

Phone: (03) 9265 7955

Residential and Trust
Phone: (03) 9265 7956

Phone: (03) 9265 7950

Phone: (03) 9265 7941

Overseas visitors and students
Casey – (03) 8768 1588
Clayton – (03) 9594 2450
Dandenong – (03) 9554 8556
Moorabbin – (03) 9594 2450