This page has information about Child and Family Dietetic and Nutrition services at Monash Health
Dietetics and Nutrition
Dietitians work with babies, toddlers and children up to the age of 18, who are having difficulties with a variety of nutritional concerns. Dietitians also work in Feeding Clinics with Speech pathologists and Psychologists.
What we do
Dietitians can see children for:
- Faltering growth
- Weight management
- Enteral feeding (HEN program)
- Feeding difficulties (with a Speech Pathologist in the Feeding Clinic)
- Dietitians help you improve your nutrition and can provide you with equipment.
Who can use this service?
This service is for children who:
- live, work, study or attend pre-school or child-care in the City of Greater Dandenong, City Of Casey or Cardinia Shire
- OR cannot access local services due to poor transport accessibility
- OR service is not provided by local community health service
- are HEN clients. HEN clients include infants and children who are registered under Monash Health HEN program (ie – receiving enteral feeds and equipment from Monash Medical Centre or Casey Hospital).
This service is not for children who:
- are already receiving, or are eligible to receive, similar services
- have medically unstable eating disorders
- have type 1 Diabetes
- have IgE mediated allergies, resulting in Anaphylaxis
- are eligible for ECIA/NDIS (www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/operational-guidelines/access-ndis-operational-guideline/access-ndis-early-intervention-requirements)
- require long term HEN program management. Client likely eligible for NDIS
- are accessing VPRS, check if eligible for an NDIS plan
- have complex medical conditions (care should remain in acute setting)
- have severe chronic conditions (including TPN)
- have suspected dysphagia/aspiration
- are receiving multidisciplinary allied health care at the hospital
How to Refer
Phone: (03) 8572 5631
For more information or assistance with your referral please contact the service on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The charge for this service is based on the family income.
Where services are delivered
Our services are delivered at Springvale, Cranbourne, Pakenham Community Health centres. We also provide Refugee Health consultations at Dandenong.
We are open from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Phone 03 9792 7716
Help contacting us
For people who need help with English or an interpreter: : TIS: 131 450
For people with hearing or speech loss: TTY: 1800 555 677
Speak and Listen: 1800 555 727
Internet relay: National Relay Service: www.relayservice.gov.au
Other Useful Resources and Alternative Services
- www.daa.asn.au: use the ‘Find an APD’ function to find an appropriate Dietitian
- Look under ‘D’ in the yellow pages
Eating Disorder Services
- Monash Health Psychiatric Triage Service. Phone: 1300 369 012
Triage is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to make brief assessments over the phone and provide details of the most appropriate service. Services include all public options offered by Monash Health.
- Butterfly Foundation. Phone: 1800 334 673