Monash Health Refugee Health and Wellbeing provides a paediatric tertiary referral medical service for children aged 0-17 years presenting with a range of health issues including:
- General and developmental/behavioural paediatrics
- Latent TB infection
- Infectious diseases
- Vitamin D deficiency – providing vitamin D (as vitamin D3 100,000IU/ml in olive oil) to vitamin D deficient children (‘stoss dosing’)
The paediatric clinic is part of the integrated Refugee Health Service located at 122 Thomas Street, Dandenong, and as such patients have access to the broader refugee health team.
This service is for:
- Children 0-17 years
- Recently arrived refugees and asylum seekers requiring a refugee health assessment
- Asylum seeker and refugee patients who require non-urgent paediatric care
- Asylum Seekers without Medicare
Please note, paediatric subspecialty referrals should be forwarded directly to the relevant unit.
Referrals must come from a treating GP/doctor
Referrals from treating medical practitioners should be sent by HealthLink Smart Forms.
Fax: 03 9792 8100
Additional information required
Referrals are triaged weekly by the Paediatrician and Refugee Health Nurse In order to assist with triage and ensure timely access to care, we request that all referrals are accompanied by:
- Immunization status, including catch up immunization schedule if in place
- Copies of pathology results including; Full blood count / film, ALP, Ferritin, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Calcium, B12/Folate*, Phosphate, Mantoux test, Malaria screen, Hepatitis B serology (HBsAg, HBsAb, HBcAb), Hepatitis C serology (HCV antibodies), Schistosoma serology, Strongyloides serology (faecal specimen), STI screen**
- Details of any treatment commenced
*If there are nutritional or developmental concerns
**(N. gonorrhoea and C. Trachomatis, urine nucleic acid detection, syphilis serology, HIV serology in sexually active adolescents, or history of sexual violence, or if positive syphilis/HIV serology in their mother/father)
Service contact details:
Service Enquiries Phone Refugee Health Nurse on Triage: 03 9792 8100
Service Enquiries Email: RefugeeHealthNurseonTriage@monashhealth.org
Contact hours: 8.30am – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays)
Click here for more information about this service.
Please review the eligibility criteria before submitting a referral.