Audiologists at Monash Health provide primary hearing health care, specialising in the prevention of hearing loss and in the identification, assessment, diagnosis, management, and treatment of hearing disorders. Monash Audiology provides comprehensive diagnostic audiological services to patients of all ages.
We accept referrals for Monash Health public patients as well as private, fee-paying patients.
- Pure tone audiometry (including visual reinforcement audiometry and play audiometry)
- Speech audiometry
- Impedance audiometry (middle ear function)
- Site of lesion Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR)
- Diagnostic infant hearing tests (evoked potentials threshold determination, including ABR, Auditory Steady State Response (ASSR).
- Otoacoustic emissions (OAE, cochlear function)
- Cortical Evoked Response Audiometry (CERA)
- Educational Audiology Assessment (minimum age 7 years)
- Testing under sedation or anaesthetic (MMC only).
- Bone implantable hearing devices (in conjunction with ENT – refer to Complex Otology Clinic)
- Custom made noise and musicians ear plugs
- Loan of assistive listening devices for MMC inpatient
- Hearing aids (not Office of Hearing Services Program)
- Swimmer’s Ear Plugs pre-moulded or custom-made
Services not offered
- Infant hearing screening (Victorian Infant Hearing Screening Program VIHSP)
- Vestibular testing
- Cochlear implants
- Hearing aids through the Office of Hearing Services (pensioners etc.)
- Hearing aids for children and young adults under 25 who are eligible through Australian Hearing.
- General hearing aid repairs, the patient or patient’s family must organise this via their original hearing aid provider
Patients consulted in Monash Health public outpatient clinics and those discharged from an inpatient stay can be seen at our services.
Referrals are accepted from all Monash Health Programs, medical or allied health staff.
Patients are seen at Clayton, Monash Children’s Hospital or Moorabbin.
Written referral is essential:
- Complete “Outpatient Referral” form MRI180
- Ensure all information is complete and legible
- Send to Monash Audiology – Clayton for triage – fax: (03) 9594 6556.
Please detail why a hearing test is required and include relevant developmental or medical status, eg autism, developmental delay. This information will allow us to triage the referral and determine the type and length of diagnostic assessment needed.
Results are available in the SMR (OP and Diagnostic tabs).
External referrals are accepted at Clayton, Moorabbin and Cranbourne.
Send external referrals to:
Monash Medical Centre
246 Clayton Road
CLAYTON VIC 3168
(03) 9594 2428
Please note that external patients are billed and rebated through Medicare. There is an out-of-pocket cost for all patients other than those having evoked potentials testing, who are bulk-billed.
A doctor’s referral will reduce the out-of-pocket cost, but is not essential.
Expertise and quality
Our audiologists are university graduates who have extensive specialist training at post-graduate level and are skilled in paediatric and adult diagnostic assessment and rehabilitation. They are all accredited members of Audiology Australia and participate in its continuing professional development program or clinical graduate internship.
Monash Audiology services are also subject to the quality assurance program of Monash Children’s Hospital as part of Monash Health, including test protocols and peer review of performance.