The clinic provides the use of oxygen within the home. Home oxygen requirements for both discharge patients and outside referrals is provided within the lung function laboratories at Monash Medical Centre and Dandenong Hospital.
Paediatric and adult patients can be referred and all administrative requirements for DHS funding via the State Wide Equipment Program (SWEP) can be arranged.
Oxygen prescription process for outside referrals
- oxygen requirements assessed using arterial blood gases, pulse oximetry (measurement of oxygen levels in haemoglobin) and six minute walk tests
- if patient meets any criteria of Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ) position statement on domiciliary oxygen, application to the State Wide Equipment Program (SWEP) will be completed http://swep.bhs.org.au
- patients then given preliminary education on effects and benefits of oxygen use in home
- domiciliary oxygen coordinator available during working hours to assist with enquiries from clinicians and patients.
Oxygen prescription process for Monash Health in-patients
- oxygen requirements determined by requesting physician.
- Request form and consent form for domiciliary oxygen form must be completed and forwarded to oxygen coordinator 24 hours before discharge.
- service available only on weekdays – to ensure prompt oxygen supply submit any oxygen requests by 3.00pm on the day prior to discharge.
- education brochure also available and should be completed by requesting physician and given to the patient before discharge.
- all patients discharged with home oxygen reviewed four to six weeks after discharge to assess ongoing oxygen needs
- patients meeting SWEP requirements long term oxygen therapy referred for SWEP funding.
Palliative oxygen services
- palliative oxygen can be of benefit to some patients suffering terminal malignancies
- patients requiring short term therapy (less than six weeks) can be assessed to determine suitability for short term home oxygen provision.
Contact the domiciliary oxygen coordinator [9594 2811] to discuss individual patient requirements during business hours.
Request For Domiciliary Oxygen