This program offers people the opportunity to continue their hospital treatment in their home. The team is made up of medical and nursing staff. Nurses visits occur between 7am to 9pm and are available by phone 24 hours a day. Medical support are available from 8am to 10pm.
People admitted to the program are still considered inpatients and remain under the care of their treating hospital doctor.
The patient is visited by a member of the HITH team. In some situations the patient may be asked to return to the hospital for part of their treatment or for further investigation or review.
What ages are eligible?
- Monash Children at Home 0-18 years old
- Adult Hospital in the Home >18 years old
What types of illnesses/conditions are eligible?
This varies from service to service. Monash Health HITH main conditions are:
- Intravenous Antibiotics for Management of Short term infections e.g. urinary sepsis, cellulitis, bursitis, chest infections and long term infections e.g. wound infections, endocarditis, osteomyelitis
- Anticoagulation for:
- Pre and post-surgical
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Prophylaxis against further embolic events
- Breast care and drain tube management post-surgery
- Cardiothoracic post-surgical care
- Follow up care for clients undergoing same day surgery
- Complex wound care management
- Long term Multiple Sclerosis patients requiring regular infusion with Methylprednisolone
- Cystic fibrosis tune ups
- Peritoneal dialysis antibiotic treatments
- Management of patients with TB or Syphilis
Patients are referred to the program by their treating doctor
To contact HITH for referral, call switchboard at the appropriate hospital site and ask for the HITH doctor or HITH Coordinator. Referrals are by phone seven days per week.