The main role of a hospital pharmacist is to promote the safe and effective use of medication by:
- working with the healthcare team to ensure the selection of the best medication at the correct dose for an appropriate duration
- monitoring and preventing or minimising side effects and drug interactions
- providing medication counselling to patients
- dispensing medications for patients in wards, the emergency department and those attending outpatient clinics
- manufacturing specialised medications such as chemotherapy for cancer treatment, mixtures and creams etc
- offering specialist drug therapy advice to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals within the hospital
- visiting patients in their home after discharge to ensure safe medication management, and to prevent errors and readmission to hospital.