Monash Health informed of external data breach

Page last updated on 3 May 2024.

Monash Health is aware that ZircoDATA, a Victorian-based company we used to scan archived historical documents, has experienced a data breach. We were recently informed that Monash Health data was involved in this breach. 

We are deeply disappointed to be in this position and understand the distress this may cause any impacted clients. 

Monash Health’s own systems have not been compromised or impacted by this issue.   

Who is affected?

Investigation analysis indicates that the Monash Health information involved in the ZircoDATA data breach relates to a selection of archived data from the family violence and sexual assault support units at Monash Medical Centre, the Queen Victoria Hospital, and Southern Health, limited to the period from 1970 to 1993.

Next steps

Due to the historical nature of the data, anyone who believes they may be impacted by the breach should call Monash Health’s dedicated support line on 1800 491 663 or register your details with us using the below form.

Our number one priority is providing support to those people who may be impacted by this breach. 

Request to stay informed

If you feel you may be impacted by this external data breach, please complete this form.

We will continue to update this dedicated web page as new information becomes available.

What can I do to protect my information?

If you may be impacted by this external data breach and are concerned about your cyber security, please call our dedicated support line on 1800 491 663.  

There are things you can do to reduce the risk of harm associated with the compromise of your information: 

  • Remain alert to increased scam activity, especially email and SMS or telephone phishing scams (such as fraudulent communications disguised as if to look like they come from an organisation you trust). 
  • Do not click on any suspicious links or provide your passwords or any personal information. Always refuse any unprompted request from an individual to access to your computer even if they say they are from a credible organisation.  
  • Enable multi-factor authentication for your accounts where possible. 
  • Consider changing your online account passwords and enable multi-factor authentication where possible. Refer to the Australian Cyber Security Centre website for more information about staying secure online.  
  • Install up-to-date anti-virus software on any device you use to access your online accounts.

To monitor your financial records, you can apply for an annual free credit report or credit report ban from each of the consumer credit reporting agencies below:

Where can I get further information and support?

The below external services may be of assistance to you and your family:

  1. Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA) during normal business hours – 03 9928 8741 or Sexual Assault Crisis Line (Victoria) after hours – 1800 806 292
  2. 1800RESPECT – 1800 737 732
    This is a 24-hour national sexual assault, family, and domestic violence counselling line for any Australian who has experienced, or is at risk of, family and domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
  3. 13 Yarn – 13 92 76
    The first national crisis support line for mob who are feeling overwhelmed or having difficulty coping. They offer a confidential one-on-one yarning opportunity with a Lifeline-trained Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Crisis Supporter.
  4. Lifeline – 13 11 14
    Anyone across Australia experiencing a personal crisis or thinking about suicide can call 13 11 14, or text 0477 13 11 14 at night (6pm-midnight AEDT). Someone will help put you in contact with a crisis service in your state or territory.
  5. National Alcohol and Other Drug Hotline – 1800 250 015
    Free service that provides counselling support as well as referral options to callers. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  6. DirectLine – 1800 888 236
    Staffed by professional counsellors, DirectLine is a 24-hour telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone in Victoria wishing to discuss an alcohol or drug-related issue.