Monash Health Dental Services has successfully run a summer placement program since 2016 and once again is giving the opportunity to final year dental students enrolling in 2021.
To be eligible for this popular program, you have to be currently enrolled in a relevant degree in dentistry within Australia. The program will include one week (7th-11th of December or 14th-18th December) intense clinical placement at either the Thomas Street, Dandenong Clinic and/or the Cranbourne Clinic which are based in the outer south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria. Successful applicants will provide dental treatment to public patients under the supervision of experienced dentists….surgical extraction and endodontic patients will be pre-booked for students and more than 80% of the patients will involve endodontics and surgical extractions. The students will be assisted by experienced nursing staff while treating patients. Tutorials and group discussion of selected cases will be organized and facilitated by Dental Specialists at the end of each day with a large emphasis on Endodontics and Oral Surgery.
The Dandenong clinic was built just over five years ago and is the largest of the Monash Health Dental sites with 10 dental chairs. Cranbourne clinic is our second largest clinic and has 8 chairs.
Our workforce includes dentists, oral health therapists, prosthetists, dental assistants, receptionists and administration staff. Over 160 staff work for Monash Health Dental Services and last year we saw more than 28000 patients.
Dental Students that will be commencing final year in 2021 (Students completing final year in 2020 may be considered).
We have placements for 16 students and successful applicants will work with experienced dental nurse. The program will run for two weeks and students can choose the week of their preference. The two weeks are 7th -11th of December and 14th – 18th of December 2020 with comprehensive Orientation on 5th and 12th December 2020.
General application process
- Provide a cover letter of and a current curriculum vitae (CV).
- Provide two letters of recommendation from current clinical supervisors.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance will be covered by Monash Health. Provide a current criminal record check.
There will be a $1500 fee for the program. Students wanting to do both weeks will pay only $2500. A certificate indicating that you have undertaken a clinical placement at Monash Health Dental Services will be provided with a detailed report of all treatments undertaken.
Feedback from University students from Griffith, La Trobe and University of Adelaide and Melbourne:
- “Staff & mentors extremely helpful & very friendly”
- “Excellent discussions with specialists”
- “Modern & spacious facility”
- “Expectations were exceeded”
- “I must say one-week placement at MH was more interesting than 16 weeks at the hospital.”
- “Opportunity to learn new treatment procedures and techniques”
Applications close by 31 October 2020
- Applications and further enquires to Wendy Martyn: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply directly via our current vacancies page
Note regarding COVID-19
Due to current COVID 19 restrictions imposed in Victoria and state border closures the following is brought to the attention of all applicants:
- Currently inter-state travel is banned and all aerosol generating procedures are excluded in our practice.
- The situation will be monitored closely as we get closer to the proposed date in December.
- If restrictions are eased and inter-state travel resumed and clinical procedures back to normal, then
the mentioned 2 weeks will go ahead as planned.
- However, if the situation continues with no travel allowed inter-state and very limited clinical
procedures can be performed, then we will activate a second plan to complete this training over 2
weeks at a later date and the date will be confirmed sometime after December.
- If the program is postponed then the applicants will be refunded if they wish to withdraw.
- We do expect all applicants to be aware and agree on this plan of action.