Casey Hospital Expansion Project has officially begun
The Casey Hospital Expansion Project has officially begun, with the Premier and Minister for Health turning the first sod of soil on Wednesday 25 October.
Accompanied by Chief Executive Andrew Stripp and Board Chair Barbara Yeoh, the Premier and Minister visited Ward B at Casey Hospital ahead of the sod turning event.
Meeting Bianca and her new baby son Liam, they spoke about the expanded services that will be available to local residents.
“I live locally, so to know that there’ll be more services here in Berwick is great,” Bianca said. “It’s been great to have Liam this close to home.”
Casey Hospital Operations Director Trish Dito said the expanded Casey Hospital would be able to manage a greater number of patients, and a higher acuity of patients.
“With expanded theatre capacity and an Intensive Care Unit, we’ll be able to manage more complex cases here at Casey,” Ms Dito said. “This will reduce the number of patient transfers, which will benefit patients as well as all of Monash Health.”
Premier Daniel Andrew said that the expanded Casey Hospital would be better equipped to deliver high-quality care for families and residents in the South East, closer to home.
The completed project will deliver:
- 128 multiday inpatient beds (plus 8 existing beds to be re-allocated)
- an intensive care unit with 12 bed capacity
- a day surgery unit with 12 beds with additional patient capacity
- four additional operating theatres (with the replacement of two existing theatres with two new theatres)
- a new central sterilising supply department (CSSD)
- refurbishment and expansion works to pharmacy, pathology, back of house and support facilities as necessary to support and facilitate the expansion
- upgraded kitchen
- teaching and training facilities to be delivered in partnership with Monash University for use by medical, nursing and allied health students, and
- 333 additional car parking (a combination of public and staff parking spaces)
For more information about the Casey Hospital Expansion Project click here.