Aphasia Support Program
This service runs communication groups for people with Aphasia. Each group offers the opportunity to practice communication skills in a relaxed friendly environment.
The aim is to assist people to regain social confidence and self-esteem and assist participation and integration back into the community. Activities include discussing current affairs and occasional community outings.
Conversation Groups - Tuesdays
- Dependent people with moderate Aphasia (9:30 am – 11:00 am)
- Independent people with mild-moderate Aphasia (11:00 am – 12:30 pm)
- People with severe aphasia (1:15 pm – 3:00 pm)
- Carers of new members are invited to join an informal carers support group
Home and Community Care (HACC) recommended fee for service is charged to those clients who are assessed as being able to pay without causing undue financial disadvantage
- HACC eligible
- Clients must have completed their individual communication programs before being referred to ASP as the program does NOT provide therapy
- Adults with a diagnosis of Aphasia affecting their communication
- Client must have minimal or no cognitive disorder
- Must have functional English skills and be independent toileting
- Clients must provide own transport