Exercise Physiologists are university qualified Allied Health Professionals who specialise in the delivery of exercise, education, lifestyle and behavioural modification programs for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries.
At Monash Health, Exercise Physiologists provide professional services in the area of exercise rehabilitation, lifestyle modification, disease prevention and management as part of re-establishing and sustaining functional independence of our clients.
Some of the services that Exercise Physiologists are able to offer within Monash Health are:
- Comprehensive assessments
- Cardiovascular reconditioning
- Functional maintenance
- Strength and conditioning training
- Functional capacity assessment and conditioning (ADL and work)
- Community based gym program design
- Facilitate transition into ongoing programs in the community
- Long term lifestyle management and preventive education
- Group activities – e.g.:fitness, balance, walking, running re-education group
- Sport / Recreational skill acquisition retraining
Our Exercise physiology services are offered across a variety of settings at Monash Health, including:
- Sub-acute Rehabilitation; Kingston Centre & Dandenong Hospital
- Outpatients; Dandenong Hospital
- Community Rehabilitation; Cranbourne, Pakenham, Kingston, Clayton, Dandenong and Springvale CRCs
- Community Health; Cranbourne, Pakenham, Dandenong & Springvale
- Inpatient Mental Health; Dandenong Hospital
- Community Mental Health (youth); Springvale
- Aged Person’s Mental Health; Kingston (Biala)
- Paediatrics; Springvale, Cranbourne, Pakenham & Doveton
Exercise Physiologists design and facilitate exercise programs and groups as well as providing individual treatment programs for a wide range of health conditions including:
- Musculoskeletal conditions; e.g. Osteoarthritis/Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue
- Neurological conditions; e.g. Parkinson's Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke
- Cardiopulmonary conditions; e.g. Heart Disease/s, Hypertension, Pulmonary Disease/s, Asthma
- Metabolic conditons; e.g. Diabetes (Type 1 and 2), Metabolic Syndrome, Obesity
Exercise Physiologists are able to provide an exercise program that is safe for clients and their conditions and help clients to achieve their goals.
Exercise Physiologists will also help clients learn how to manage their condition and exercise independently for the long term.