A century of caring for children
From our 19th century origins at the Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Children and at Prince Henry’s Hospital in Melbourne, the health care and well being of children has been a priority.
In 1940-50, the Queen Victoria Hospital became the first hospital in Victoria to introduce more liberal visiting hours for parents.
This was due to the fact that the paediatricians, among them Dame Kate Campbell, believed that the inclusion of the family structure was an important factor in a child’s recovery.
The Homeopathic Hospital (1869-1934) later known as Prince Henry’s Hospital in Melbourne opened a children’s ward in 1910 until its closure following a major rationalisation of paediatric services across Victoria in 1978.
Established to meet the needs of the young families moving to the rapid growth areas of southern outer metropolitan Melbourne, Monash Medical, Centre Clayton opened in 1987 with comprehensive paediatrics services as part of the relocation of the Queen Victoria Medical Centre and Prince Henry’s Hospital to Monash Medical Centre Clayton.
A children’s ward was established at Dandenong Hospital in 1955 and at the Monash Health’s newest hospital Casey Hospital in 2004. Monash Health was renamed Monash Health in 2013.
A century of caring for children provides a written and pictorial story of children's services through the years.