Pictured above: Artist’s impression of the Casey Hospital Expansion Project.
Casey Hospital is poised to deliver even more services to one of the fastest growing areas in Melbourne’s south-east.
Funded by the Victorian Government and in partnership with Monash Health and Plenary Group, construction of the Casey Hospital Expansion Project commenced in 2017 and is expected to be completed in late 2019.
The 273-bed Casey Hospital is a 12-year old community hospital providing bed-based services, ambulatory health care and support services to the local communities of Casey and Cardinia. Currently, it has 96 medical/surgical beds, four fully-utilised operating theatres and limited emergency services.
The expansion is needed to ensure that Casey Hospital has the capacity and services needed to provide the residents of Casey and Cardinia with quality care at their local facility, given the unprecedented growth in this area and the need for increased specialised services.
The expansion will increase the size of Casey Hospital and enable it to treat more patients, perform more surgeries, support more births, reduce the number of patients needing to be transferred and allow more patients to access the health services they need closer to home.
It will also significantly increase the scope of services supporting the local community. The project will support expansion of existing and new services through the delivery of:
- 136 new beds, which consist of:
28 multi-day inpatient beds (plus eight existing beds to be re-allocated)
An intensive care unit with 12 bed capacity
A day surgery unit with 12 beds with additional patient capacity
- 4 more operating theatres, with two existing theatres being replaced by two new theatres designed to current standards
- A new central sterilising supply department (CSSD)
- Refurbishment and expansion works to pharmacy, pathology, back of house and support facilities as necessary to support and facilitate the expansion
- Upgraded kitchen
- Teaching and training facilities to be delivered in partnership with Monash University for use by medical, nursing and allied health students, and
- 333 additional car parking (a combination of public and staff parking spaces).
The project is also working with Monash University to plan for additional education and training spaces for medical, nursing and allied health students.
Project update – September 2018
- The redeveloped front entrance of Casey Hospital is opening soon.
- There will be changes to pedestrian access and wayfinding. Refer to the September 2018 map for more information.
- Patients, families, visitors and staff will be able to enjoy great food and coffee at the new Casey Terrace Café.
- Researchers and students will be able to utilise the new facilities at the Monash University Education Hub in October 2018
Read more about the project’s latest news in Issue 3 of the Casey Hospital Expansion Project Update – September 2018.